In need of packing tips? Although Allen and Coles offers full-service packing to our customers, some of you may still prefer to self-pack. For you self-packers, we have comprised a list of packing tips to ensure the security of your belongings. Below is our list of expert packing tips to help you while moving:
Obtain your moving supplies. You will need:
- Moving boxes in medium, large and extra large sizes. Wardrobe moving boxes will also be helpful.
- Bubble wrap to protect fragile items.
- Packing paper for wrapping breakables such as dishes and pictures. Do not use newspaper, as the ink can rub off onto your belongings.
- Packing tape.
- Packing tape dispenser to apply tape securely and quickly.
- Permanent marker.
- Keep similar items in the same moving boxes. For example, do not pack books with glass picture frames.
- Pack heavier items in the bottom of moving boxes and lighter items on top.
- Fill all extra space in the moving boxes with packing paper to prevent damage.
- Keep the weight of the moving boxes under 50 pounds to prevent the boxes from collapsing or your belongings becoming damaged.
- Pack lightweight, yet bulky items in large or extra large moving boxes. Pack heavier items such as books in medium sized moving boxes.
- Wrap all fragile, breakable items in bubble wrap and/or packing paper. This will prevent them from breaking, scratching or becoming damaged during transit.
- Label each carton with what its contents are and what room they belong in.
- Arrange moving boxes in stacks 4 to 5-feet high. This will make the process of loading them on the truck easier and faster for the movers.
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned, and keep them in the clear bags for the move.
- Do not pack any valuables. Carry all valuables such as jewelry, money, etc. with you.
- Do not pack plants, food or hazardous materials.
Our packing tips can help any novice packer become an expert in no time. Packing can often be the biggest headache of moving, which is why our expert packing tips are indispensible.